Explore Our Impact

At every stage of their career, the Institute offers support.

Our organization was founded upon the Faculty Fellowship Program (FFP), which grants faculty a semester release from teaching and service to focus on their scholarship. Faculty Fellows gather and discuss their research weekly in Hyde Hall. Since 1988, the Institute has provided over 600 Fellowships to Carolina’s brightest teacher-scholars. In our 30+ year history, the IAH has grown to also aid faculty through grants, leadership development, and programs across ranks.

Look back at the 2022-2023 year in the Annual Highlights (PDF)

Invest in Carolina Faculty 

When faculty are supported, they can bring the knowledge they have acquired into the classroom as they teach the next generation of Tar Heels. For more information on the endowment and expendable giving opportunities for the Institute’s programs and initiatives, please contact Angela O’Neill, Director of Development, at 919-962-2528 or angela.oneill@unc.edu. 

GIVE NOW

My two IAH Faculty Fellowships, spread apart by 15 years, have supported my book’s work. The first Fellowship was when I began exploring the topic. The second supports a project that is a sequel of sorts to the book, turning the book’s focus — historic black communities — toward broader public consumption by way of a digital, publicly accessible map of the communities.

Karla Slocum, Professor, Anthropology

I remain truly grateful for the “infinite lens” the Academic Leadership Program has allowed me to realize and bring to life in teaching, research, and service.

Sylvia A. Frazier-Bowers, Associate Professor, Adams School of Dentistry 

THE INSTITUTE BY THE NUMBERS

874

Number of Faculty Fellows and Academic Leadership Fellows since 1988

89%

Percentage of Fellows who stay at Carolina despite outside offers in the past five years

47

Number of grants awarded to faculty in 2019

33

Number of departments supported by the IAH in 2018